This morning the U.S. welcomed 46th President Joseph R. Biden and Vice President — California’s own — Kamala D. Harris. National youth poet laureate Amanda Gorman said it extremely well…
“…How could we possibly prevail over catastrophe? Now we assert: how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?… One thing is certain: if we merge mercy with might and might with right, then love becomes our legacy and changes our children’s birthright.”
NAIFA, ACLI and many others have already issued statements welcoming the Biden Administration.
IICF Event Raises Money for Community Grants Program
The IICF Western Division will host the virtual Horizon Award Gala, March 18. This is a chance to both celebrate the insurance industry’s legacy of collaboration and philanthropic commitment, while also raising funds for the IICF Community Grants Program, benefiting nonprofits with a focus on children at risk, education and human services. To learn more about sponsorship opportunities and benefits, click here. For additional information, contact Melissa-Anne Duncan at (714) 870-1084 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AM Best to Host Webinar on the State of the Long-Term Care Insurance Market
AM Best will host a complimentary webinar on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 8 a.m. PT, which will explore the state of the long-term care insurance market. During the event, AM Best analysts and market experts will review a recently published Best’s Market Segment Report that examines recent developments in the beleaguered market and discuss how the insurance industry is tackling the multiple challenges, including low interest rates and the ability to achieve pricing increases. The panel also will discuss the growing use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in the sector. Register here.
The American Association for Long-Term Care Insurance Posts Data
For the first time, AALTCI says its reporting costs for various inflation growth options. From association president Jesse Slome:
Cost of coverage has always been a barrier to increased sales … and that’s more true in 2021 than ever. I believe it’s vital for insurance agents and brokers to understand that the (often used) “one-size-fits-all” approach is a barrier to making more sales.
More people today are buying linked-benefit (life+LTC) coverage. Slome says AALTCI aims to give a relative cost/benefit comparison of linked-benefit policies versus traditional LTCi polices.
BenefitsPRO 2021 Call For Speakers Deadline Approaching
Here’s a great chance to showcase your industry expertise in front of more than 1,000 brokers, agents and consultants. BenefitsPRO 2021 is open for speaking submissions for the in-person program scheduled for August 17-19 at The Omni La Costa in San Diego. Key themes and categories include:
- Biden administration’s impact on health care
- COVID impact – what changes will fade away? What will remain?
- Technology trends and innovations
- Next gen benefits agencies – tips and strategies on practice management
- The new workforce – mental health, paid leave benefits/regulations, diversity & inclusion
Answer 3 Questions and Get a Free E-Book!
You’d really be helping out OCAHU member Phil Calhoun if you’d answer this three-question survey about commissions. Phil is writing about protecting, growing and selling commissions for Cal Broker this year and he’s planning to offer CE courses and boot camps for brokers. You can remain anonymous with the survey or you can share your email and receive a link for a free e-book. You may also be included in a drawing to receive a copy of “The Health Brokers Guide to: Protect, Grow and Sell Commissions” by Phil Calhoun. Go here for the survey. Thanks!
XP Health Raises $5M
XP Health, a Palo Alto-based tech startup and the world’s only AI-powered vision benefits platform covering employees and their families, announced its $5M seed round which was led by Valor Capital Group, a Softbank-invested venture capital fund. Additional investors as part of the XP Health seed round included Semper Virens, Village Global, J-Angels, Stanford StartX, and also notable angel investor Jeff Epstein, former CFO at Oracle. From XP Health:
By using AI and deep learning, XP Health is able to help companies save their employees up to 90% in eyewear costs per year. XP Health offers a solution that increases a company’s existing vision benefits coverage by an average of 10X. XP Health is working with these companies to help them save on their costs around vision benefits and also provide a better experience: Chegg, Zenefits, and Sequoia Consulting.
Here’s a link to the XP Health demo video.
- LAAHU’s Zoom Happy Hour is the first Wednesday of the month from 4-5p.m. Members and nonmembers welcome. Register here.
- NAHU Power Hour, 4th Wednesday of the month from 4-5p.m. Pacific. Members and nonmembers welcome. Register here.
- LAAHU’s Luncheon Webinar – Breaking through the vaccine barrier: everything you need to know about vaccine availability in L.A. County, Virtual, Jan 21, noon-1:30pm. Register here.
- ASCEND 2021, Join NextGen Benefits advisers, solution experts & peers, Virtual, Jan. 20-22. Register here.
- OCAHU Virtual Sales Symposium Feb 11 &12, Navigating the New Normal, February 11 & 12, 7:30 AM to 12:30 p.m. both days. Info here or email email@example.com.
- NAIFA-Los Angeles 68th Annual Will G. Farrell Award & Leadership Recognition Event, Virtual, Feb. 18. More info here.
- CAHU Women’s Leadership Summit, Green Valley Ranch in Las Vegas, April 7-9. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Association for Medicare Supplement Insurance, National Medicare Supplement Insurance Industry Summit, Sept 8-10, Schaumburg Convention Center, Chicago area, info here.