The share of Californians under age 65 (“nonelderly”) without health insurance reached a historic low in 2022. Based on the most recent California Health Interview Survey (CHIS), the percentage of nonelderly Californians without health insurance dropped to 6.2% in 2022, a statistically significant decline from 2021 (7.4%). The rate of nonelderly people without coverage for a year or more also reached a historic low in 2022. Commonly called the “long-term uninsured,” their rate dropped from 5.7% in 2021 to 4.5% in 2022, another statistically significant decline.
Sutter Health is joining the ranks of health systems with built-in innovation incubators.
The Sacramento-based 24-hospital health system is opening an innovation center “aimed at fostering creative solutions to some of today’s biggest healthcare challenges.” Warner Thomas, Sutter Health’s president and CEO, unveiled the plan at last month’s HLTH conference and said the center should be up and running in San Francisco in early 2024.
Here’s what to know
Caught a cold? Battling allergies? Your Amazon Prime membership could help you with that now, too — and you don’t have to worry about shipping. The tech giant has a new members-only benefit: Health care. In-person options for One Medical are available in only a handful of states, including California. The Federal Trade Commission previously raised privacy concerns about the company’s new partnership with the health care service. Here’s what to know:
Those who aren’t familiar with CalCPA Health should learn about them and start telling your clients about their benefit offerings.
Brokers Need to Know:
- CalCPA Health is a California domiciled carrier who has been around since 1959 – providing excellent benefit plans to CPA and financial service firms of all sizes.
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans are available for more than CPAs. Learn more!
- CalCPA Health has very user-friendly HSA administration capabilities for employers and employees. They offer the largest selection of HSA plans in California.
- 7% commissions (first & renewal) 2-50 Small Group
The cost of healthcare in the United States is a significant concern for policymakers and citizens and is a pressing issue affecting millions of Americans. This upward trajectory in healthcare expenditures has far-reaching implications for both individuals and the greater healthcare system.
Sponsored by AGA
The Biden administration is aiming to close loopholes that it says allow Medicare Advantage insurers to encourage brokers to steer consumers toward certain plans.
Why it matters: Federal officials say their proposal, which comes as lawmakers have raised concerns about broker payments, would help ensure brokers are working in seniors’ best interest.
It also marks the administration’s latest effort to regulate how plans are marketed in the rapidly growing program after cracking down on ubiquitous TV ads this year.
U.S. health insurer Cigna Group (CI.N) is exploring the sale of its Medicare Advantage business, which manages government health insurance for people aged 65 and older, a move that would mark a reversal of its expansion in the sector, according to people familiar with the matter.
Sponsored by Warner Pacific
Trautwein brings a wealth of compliance experience and a unique perspective to organization
Warner Pacific, a leading health insurance general agency supporting health care brokers in California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and Florida, is pleased to announce that Janet Trautwein is joining the company as its compliance and government affairs executive. Trautwein’s appointment to Warner Pacific will open new opportunities for the general agency’s employees, brokers, carrier partners and more.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires medical health insurers to offer an annual one-month Special Open Enrollment Window (SOEW), when eligible Small Group employers can purchase medical coverage without having to meet standard employer-contribution and/or employee-participation ratios.
Last year, Jennifer Reisz’s college-age daughter, Megan, was kicked in the chest multiple times by the family’s horse. Megan fell to the ground, unable to move or speak. Though she was alone, her Apple Watch detected her distress and called 911.
Special thanks to Russ Williams for his new Professional Development Program for California Brokers readers.
Russ Williams contributes articles on professional growth for readers of California Broker Magazine. He serves as a mentor-advisor and offers one-on-one professional consultations based on The Clarity Conversation. This 9-Session Self-Renewal Consultation focuses on overcoming nagging personal-professional challenges to re-claim personal and professional clarity to renew your influence for good at home, at work, and in the community.
RELATIONSHIP INNOVATION IN TURBULENT TIMES
“We humans are social beings. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from theother’s activities.”
Tenzin Gyatso 14th Dalia Lama
Are we travelling as a nation in some treacherous economic waters? Uncertainty and instability are two words that describe a nation in turbulent sea waters. So how do we move rather than stand still and wait. How do relationships become central in driving innovative exploration to do things differently.
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT
As a wave of older Americans face the real possibility of needing long term care, the California legislature is considering funding a modest amount of state-provided long-term care (LTC) coverage. There are many questions about what the legislation might include if it is enacted. The nation’s most populous state has taken preliminary steps to explore the possibility of offering a long-term care benefit but there is still a long way to go. A feasibility report, commissioned by the legislature, was released in its final draft form on December 14, 2022. An actuarial report with additional specifics on cost and financial viability will be released in late 2023.
The RSSA Roadmap will be a powerful tool in the hands of financial planners, Martha Shedden says.
By John Manganaro
The National Association of Registered Social Security Analysts has launched a new fintech platform called the RSSA Roadmap, designed to provide consumers and retirement advisors with live support and other tech-based resources to allow “near-perfect Social Security retirement planning.”
Speaking about the launch with ThinkAdvisor, the organization’s president, Martha Shedden, said the new tool — a cloud-based, advisory-supported Social Security optimization planning solution — makes it easy for individuals to visualize their available claiming options and to get expert help when they have questions.
- Nov. 16 @11:30am-12:30 pm PST, Dickerson Insurance “What Advisors Should Know About Broker Compensation: The Past, Present and Future.” Register
- Nov. 30 @11:30 AM – 12:30 PM- What Advisors Should Know About Wellness Programs-Register
NOTE: Dickerson offers variety of ongoing CE credit courses, found @
- Dec. 07 @11:30 AM – 12:30 PM, 1 Hr. CE Credit – Presented by Dave Fear Sr., What Advisors Should Know About Telemedicine & Virtual Care Benefits, Register
- Dec 7 @ 11:30 am – 1:30 pm PST, WIFS – Los Angeles Chapter “Tax Changes-This Year and Next” Register: Janet Fishman (213) 359-0389, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dec. 12 @ 5:00 PM to 7:45 PM, Newport Beach Parade of Lights Harbor Cruise Balboa Pavilion, 400 Main St, Newport Beach, CA 92661, Register,
**On-site or walk-in reservations will not be ACCEPTED**
- Dec 14 @5:00-7:00PM, WIFS-Los Angeles and NAIFA-Los Angeles, Celebrate 2023 & Welcome 2024 Holiday Happy Hour, Register
- Dec 14 @4:00 PM – 7:00 PM, “CAHIP GG Save the Date! Holiday party, Save The Date!
- Dec 15 @5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, “CAHIP-LA Annual Holiday Party, TBD, Save The Date!
- Jan. 22 , CAHIP Innovation Expo @Sheraton Universal, LA. Register: CAHIP.com
- March 25-27, Ellevate Women’s Leadership Summit 2024 @ JW Marriott Las Vegas. Register
- May 6-8, CAHIP Capital Summit @ Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, Sacramento, Register
- June 23-26, Society for Human Resources Management SHRM24 Annual Conference and Expo @ Chicago, Register