Register Now for NAIC Summit
Medikeeper recently issued the results of its health risk assessment on employee health during the pandemic. Folks, the results are not pretty. All the bad stuff went up and the good stuff went down. Here’s a little sample, according to results of The Pandemic Body 2021:
Stress — 104% increase in employees seeking professional help for stress, anxiety, or depression.
Alcohol Usage — 70% more men drinking 14+ drinks per week. 28% more women drinking 7+ per week.
Smoking — 22% increase in cigarette use. 51% increase in e-cigarette use.
Food Choices — 22% of workers admit to being “out of control with food”
Sleep — 29% increase in the number of employees who report difficulty sleeping.
June is Men’s Health Month and Aflac has something to tell us. Almost all men — a full 90%, according Aflac’s 2021 Men’s Health Issues Survey — claim they have a somewhat healthy lifestyle. Yet research from the CDC and NHANES suggests otherwise: more than half of men have high blood pressure and 43% are obese.
What keeps guys from being healthier? Here are the barriers that the Aflac survey identified:
Lack of education and awareness. Nearly half — 45% — of respondents said they didn’t visit their doctor for an annual wellness checkup in the past 12 months, making them vulnerable to potential health issues without the chance for early detection.
Negative reasons or beliefs preventing reaching out for help. More than half (58%) said they agree with at least one of the following reasons keeping them from obtaining proactive health care:
- It is easier to go to a walk-in urgent care facility or emergency clinic to see a doctor instead of my primary care physician.
- Most ailments will heal themselves.
- I’m too busy with work to see the doctor.
- I feel that going to the doctor makes me feel less masculine.
Fear. Over 1 in 5 men (21%) said they experience fear or anxiety about a physician’s visit. That number rises to nearly one-third (29%) for men ages 18-34 versus 18% of their parents’ generation (50-64 years old).
High cost of medical care. A full 45% saying they postponed or avoided medical treatment in some form due to cost within the past 12 months.
Lastly half of men say they discuss health-related issues with their female relatives (wife, girlfriend or mother), yet 43% said they have argued with or withheld health concerns from the females in their lives. Check out the full findings from the 2021 Aflac Men’s Health Issues Survey.
FMG Suite Recognized for Advancing Racial Equity
San Diego-based FMG Suite, a company specializing in marketing software and services for insurance agents and financial advisors, announced that it has been selected as a finalist in WealthManagement.com 2021 Industry Awards for its commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion.
As a finalist in the diversity, equity and inclusion category, FMG Suite was recognized for putting diversity at the heart of its workforce. Over the past year, the company has implemented a variety of initiatives to create change in its corporate culture and hiring practices including the formation of a DEI council and community groups like APAC, LGBTQIA and a women’s network. FMG Suite was also recognized for its commitment to providing marketing content to financial professionals that represents underrepresented groups.
Now in its seventh year, the WealthManagement.com Industry Awards honors individuals and business initiatives that help financial advisors better serve clients. This year, there were more than 900 entries submitted and 221 different organizations were selected as finalists. View the full list of finalists.
A COVID vaccine for the elementary school set may not be far off. This week Pfizer has announced it will initiate testing to assess the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in children younger than 12 after choosing a lower dose vaccine that was validated in a Phase 1 study. The drugmaker may enroll as many as 4,500 children at sites in the U.S., Finland, Poland and Spain.
- IICF International Inclusion in Insurance Forum, June 15-17. Register here.
- SIIA Mentor Connection Forum, Virtual, June 16-17. Register here.
- NAIFA-LA, Advanced Retirement Planning Seminar, Virtual, June 17, 11:30am-1:30pm. Register here.
- NAHU Annual Convention & Grow Your Business Expo, theme is “The Path Forward”, Virtual, June 27-29, info here.
- BenefitsPro Broker Expo, in person in San Diego, August 16-18. Save 15% with promo code RIGHTPLAN. Agenda here, register here.
- American Association for Medicare Supplement Insurance, National Medicare Supplement Insurance Industry Summit, Sept 8-10, in person at Schaumburg Convention Center, Chicago area. Info here
- SIIA 41st Annual National Educational Conference & Expo, In-Person & Virtual, October 3 – 5, JW Marriott, Austin, TX. Info here.