By Dafne Canales and Xavier Serrano
As life expectancy continues to increase, the desire for a long and healthy life has become more important than ever. While genetics plays a role, there are a number of steps individuals can take to increase their chances of living a long and healthy life. In this article, we will explore the five steps to longevity, including sources for further information.
1. Sweet Dreams are Made of This – Get a Good Night’s Sleep:
Who knew that snoozing could be such a lifesaver? That’s right, getting your beauty sleep isn’t just important for feeling fresh and ready to tackle the day ahead, it’s also crucial for keeping those pesky diseases at bay. So, grab your pillow and get ready to learn why sleep is the secret to longevity!
Take time to reflect on what you learned in 2022
By Tom Avery
For most people, the new year is about looking forward. For insurance brokers, it’s time to breathe a sigh of relief now that the madness of Q4 is done — and you can finally take that well-deserved rest.
Not so fast!
Before you leave 2022 behind, it’s important to take time to reflect on what you learned to prepare for success in the new year. How successful Q4 2023 is will depend on your work in the three other quarters leading up to open enrollment.
In the spirit of reflection, here are the top mistakes brokers made last year that might have lost them clients—and how they can avoid making those same mistakes this year.
Mistake 1: You only talked to clients during open enrollment.
What brokers need to know
By Michael Gorton and Michael Brombach
As employers strive to bridge growing care gaps in behavioral and mental health, the nation’s brokers are positioned to help health plan sponsors make informed benefits decisions by selecting the optimal behavioral telehealth provider. The terms telepsychiatry or telemental health are also used to describe a subset of telemedicine that uses telecommunications or videoconferencing technology to provide mental health services.
The emergence of providers offering these cost-effective care options comes in response to a changing workplace environment. Virtual behavioral health solutions provide a range of services, including psychiatric evaluations, therapy (individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy), patient education and medication management. The intention is to provide additional access to care by reducing barriers, including needing transportation, child or care or time off work in order to meet with a doctor.
Why the immediate concern?
Sharing success with a colleague can pay off big
By Phil Calhoun
Preparing for a life change that involves transitioning your hard-earned commissions and loyal clients? Sharing your success with a colleague can be a great solution. While each situation is unique, a common exit path begins with conversations with industry colleagues about your intentions to sell your commissions to someone who will continue to take good care of your clients. These exploratory conversations usually lead to connecting with experienced sales solution providers. Many opportunities may present themselves, and I recommend considering all your options.
Full disclosure: my company, Integrity Advisors, is one of those experienced sales solution providers. We consult with brokers who have questions about selling or protecting their commissions. In the case where a broker has a buyer identified, we help complete the purchase process using proven professional and legal tools. When a seller is looking for a buyer, we can help find a buyer and then provide a process to complete the sale. The buyers we work with use our best practices guidelines and complete a proven process we have seen produce consistently strong results over many years.
“Built To Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You”
Understand the importance of developing business processes
By John Warrillow
Review by Phil Calhoun
Although some life and health insurance professionals operate their own business and some work for an agency, nearly every insurance professional can take something from this book. The many business principals covered in “Built to Sell” can apply to both group benefit brokers and Medicare brokers.
Callout: As a bonus, brokers with business owner clients, can gift “Built to Sell” to their business owner clients. All business owners are concerned about succession planning and the book offers excellent tips to improve business success as well.
EVENTS, LEARNING, AND NETWORKING
- August 31@ 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm NAIFA-LA, KICK OFF THE CELEBRATION-SEPTEMBER IS LIFE INSURANCE AWARENESS MONTH, Lucille’s Smokehouse BBQ Woodland Hills, CA, Register
- August 22 – August 24, 2023 “Senior Summit: Exploring the Medicare Jungle,” Pechanga Resort, Temecula, CA, Register
- August 30- 2023 SAHU Business and Medicare Expo, Citrus Heights Community Center, 6300 Fountain Square Drive Citrus Heights, CA 95621, Register
- September 6, 2023 @ 9am – 5:30pm PDT, AGA Accelerate Las Vegas, Nevada, Adorn Events 9555 Del Webb Boulevard Las Vegas, NV 89134, Register
- September 12, 2023 @ 9:00 AM, CAHIP-OC, Annual CE Day, Lake Forest Community Center, Register
- October 5-6, 2023 -NAIFA-California’s 2023 Career Advancement Conference, e3, to EMPOWER, ENGAGE, and EXPLORE, Humphreys Half Moon Inn, 2300 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA, 92101,Register
- October 8-10, 2023 – All Day, 2023 SIIA National Conference, JW Marriott Desert Ridge, Phoenix, AZ, Register
- October 22 – 24, LIMRA Annual Conference, Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, National Harbor, MD, Register
- March 25-27, 2024, Ellevate Women’s Leadership Summit 2024, JW Marriott Las Vegas, 221 N Rampart Blvd, Las Vegas , Nevada, Register
- May 06- 08, 2024, CAHIP, Capital Summit, Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, 500 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, Register
- August 23, 2023@ 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm PDT, AGA, What About Wednesdays: All About Retaining Your Clients, Virtual Event, Register
- August 28,2023, @10:00 am – 11:00 am EDT, Humana – Email Plan-specific Sales Materials to Prospects using the Digital Marketing Materials tool, Register
- September 13, 2023, @9:00 AM (PDT) Warner U | Group Benefits vs Medicare Benefits, Register
- September 21, 2023, @2 PM (EASTERN) NAIFA Live: Practice Growth and Success, Register through the NAIFA Member Portal