Make a Difference in Your Community!
The Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation (IICF) is celebrating industry volunteerism with in-person and virtual service opportunities during its annual Week of Giving October 9-16. Want to take part? Now is the time to start planning! More info here.
Gravie has introduced something we’re surprised nobody has thought of yet! It’s buy now, pay later (BNPL) for employee medical expenses. Gravie Pay is a first-of-its-kind, interest-free, pay-over-time option for employees’ out-of-pocket medical expenses. The new benefits offers the ability to spread payments out for up to 12 months with no interest or fees. The company says Gravie Pay will remove cost barriers that often prevent individuals from getting needed care by allowing them to pay for out-of-pocket expenses that are subject to their responsibility at their own pace, ultimately improving health outcomes and reducing costs for everyone involved. Gravie’s no-questions-asked (not even a credit check) approach is effortless for the member to access and works on any outstanding bill they have.
The National African American Insurance Association is accepting applications for its JL Tillman Endowed Scholarship Fund, which awards scholarships to help African-American students further their education in insurance, risk management, business, IT, actuarial science, finance or marketing. Deadline is October 1. Click here to learn more about this opportunity!
Researchers Compare Traditional and Telehealth
The Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation at the University of Michigan recently released findings comparing virtual versus in-person doctor’s visits. Among the findings:
- When a doctor saw a patient in person, they spent a little more than 10 minutes per person. When the visit was virtual, they spent a little more than 13 minutes.
- A physician-led in-person visit cost the health system on average $26.84. When the visit was virtual, it cost $27.26. If the virtual visit was led by a physician assistant, however, it cost just $9.86.
- The health system compared 250 virtual visits and 250 in-person visits to determine if there was a difference in no-show rates. For video visits, 58 percent of patients completed their visit as scheduled, 33 percent of videos were canceled and 8 percent of patients no-showed their visit. When the visits were in person, 61 percent of patients completed their visit as scheduled, 33 percent canceled and 5 percent of patients no-showed their visit.
- GET THIS: From check-in to check-out, the average cycle time for an in-person visit was 80 minutes. For video visits, the time was just 24 minutes.
Read more here.
Want Some Editorial Coverage?
California Broker magazine publishes a series of editorial surveys in which thought leaders and providers get to share wisdom and info with readers. Our survey lead is Thora Madden and she puts together a host of surveys — dental, small group, large group, voluntary benefits and more. If you represent a provider or if you have questions about your company being included in this survey, please reach out to Thora directly: Thora@calbrokermag.com.
Virtual Event Coming Up
The California State Medicare Expo will be virtual August 26-27. Register here. The theme is “Unmasking Medicare.”
In Person at Pechanga
The Senior Summit groups (IEAHU, OCAHU and SDAHU) will be hosting their 9th Annual event August 31st-September 2 LIVE at Pechanga Resort Casino. Register now for 2021 Senior Summit: Chart Your Course & Navigate into the Future.
DCAHU Summit is Back
Desert Cities Association of Healthcare Underwriters have announced they are back for their in-person medicare conference on September 16! The event will take place 9am-3:30pm a the Villa Portofino Clubhouse in Palm Desert. Lots of CE, networking, prizes and more! Register here.
The Los Angeles Association of Health Underwriters will hold its Medicare AEP Kick-off Summit in person Sept. 30 at Skirball Cultural Center. Guest speakers so far include: Paul Bauer – Region 9 CMS, Brad Miles, Barry Sikov and Paul Davis. Sponsorship info here. Register here.
- Life settlements are legal and regulated
- Your client does not need to be ill to sell their life insurance policy
- Clients can get more money selling their policy than surrendering it
- You and your client can choose to work with a broker or a provider
- Your client’s policy is in their hands
Check out the full article here. Keep your eyes peeled for Lisa’s upcoming life settlement article in Cal Broker.
Congrats to the folks at MarketFacts, winner of the Award of Excellence in the Magazines, Journals and Tabloids category by APEX. MarketFacts won for its Number 4, 2020 issue. Out of almost 1,200 entries, MarketFacts was one of 189 winners for this category. The edition featured articles and commentaries that focused on industry resiliency and current trends in insurance, workplace benefits and retirement.
Employee benefits folks have been down in San Diego with BenefitsPro and we’re lucky enough to snag a few photos… You’ll undoubtedly recognize Naama O. Pozniak leading meditation. The group pictured on stage are this year’s FINALISTS for “broker of the year”!
Omaha-based insurtech company Breeze announced welcomes Andrew Hamill as head of distribution. Hamill spent the last five years leading brokerage distribution and strategy for Legal & General America. At Breeze, Hamill will scale Breeze’s distribution by offering the insurtech’s online platform to agents, brokerage general agencies (BGAs), and independent marketing organizations (IMOs). Hamill will also help diversify product distribution channels at Breeze, an online insurance broker who just recently announced a $10 million Series A round.
- 9th Annual Senior Summit: Chart Your Course and Navigate Into the Future, in person at Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, August 31-September 2. Online registration is open through August 19. Register here.
- California State Medicare Expo: Unmasking Medicare, virtual, August 26-27. Register here.
- American Association for Medicare Supplement Insurance, National Medicare Supplement Insurance Industry Summit, Sept 8-10, in person at Schaumburg Convention Center, Chicago area. Info here.
- DCAHU Senior Summit, in person September 16, Register here.
- LAAHU Medicare AEP Kickoff, in person September 30. Sponsorship info here. Register here.
- SIIA 41st Annual National Educational Conference & Expo, In-Person & Virtual, October 3 – 5, JW Marriott, Austin, TX. Register & secure room NOW! Hotel is nearly sold out. Info here.