The CAHU Foundation will host a charity walkathon November 27-29 from wherever you are! You can sign up and commit to walking a challenging distance and then donate through a NAHU donation page. Register here.
LAAHU Presents: Breaking through the Cement Ceiling by Carl Dickerson- Nov. 18
LAAHU’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee will offer an excellent chance to learn from industry icon Carl Dickerson on Thursday, November 18, from noon-1p.m. The lunch hour event promises to provide an open, inclusive learning forum for members and non-members alike. Register here.
Providence Joins Anthem’s Vivity Health Plan
Anthem Blue Cross announced Providence Southern California has agreed to join its Vivity Health Plan as a joint-venture partner effective November 1, 2020. The addition of Providence marks Vivity’s first expansion since it launched in 2015, bolstering the plan’s provider network offerings and collaboration in Orange and Los Angeles counties.
Integrity Acquires American Group Insurance Brokerage
Integrity Marketing Group, LLC, the nation’s largest independent distributor of life and health insurance products announced today it has acquired Dallas-based American Group Insurance Brokerage Services. As part of the acquisition, American Group President and Owner Shane Van Loon will continue to lead his business while also becoming a Managing Partner in Integrity. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed
Medicare Will Cover Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services announced that Medicare beneficiaries can receive coverage of monoclonal antibodies to treat COVID-19 with no cost-sharing during the public health emergency. CMS’ coverage of monoclonal antibody infusions applies to bamlanivimab, which received an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Addressing Racial Trauma in the Workplace
EBN has a great post up about addressing racial trauma among Black employees. Read it!
Warner Pacific Adds New Master App to Pro Apply Online Enrollment
Warner Pacific’s proprietary Pro Apply tech already streamlines the enrollment process — and now it’s getting even better. Warner Pacific recently introduced a new master application feature. With Pro Apply’s master application feature, employers can complete the master application online instead of on paper, helping to streamline the process and keep all the group’s information together in one place. Currently, this feature is available for CaliforniaChoice and Anthem groups, and Warner Pacific plans to continue adding new carriers to the system.
Guardian Launches Campaign to Educate About Vol Benefits
More than half of working Americans say they are likely to make benefits changes as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and nearly half (44%) are likely to make changes as a result of the presidential election. That’s according to a new report from Guardian Life. With so many Americans re-evaluating their financial security amidst the biggest health crisis in a lifetime, selecting the right benefits can be a challenge. To help navigate the benefits enrollment process and demonstrate how voluntary benefits can help increase financial security, Guardian Life recently launched Simply Put, a campaign designed to educate employers, employees and brokers about the value of voluntary benefits through one-on-one Q&A conversational style videos. The Simply Put series covers everything from defining what a voluntary benefit is to highlighting critical illness, dental, and hospital indemnity insurance, among other benefits. Additional highlights from Guardian’s report, titled “Benefits Optimization: Upgrading the Enrollment Experience to Help Employers and their Workers get the Most Value,” include:
- 67% say they would not be able to afford benefits if they did not get them through their employer
- Four in 10 workers say their medical plan is not enough to cover the cost of a major medical event
- Two in five workers report that their annual deductible is $2,500 or more, with roughly half saying they would need to borrow money to pay for an unexpected medical expense
- Two in three workers want more personalized, targeted benefits communications
What Biden Should do With 401(k) Plans
Our friend Bob Lawton at Lawton Employee Benefits has a great post up: 9 Changes Biden Should Consider to Improve 401(k) Plans. Check it out here. Bob says changes are needed because Americans simply aren’t able to save enough.
AHIP Welcomes New Board Chair and Members
America’s Health Insurance Plan announced the election of Bruce D. Broussard, president and CEO of Humana Inc., as board chair for 2021. In addition, AHIP welcomes these newly elected and appointed board members:
- Gregory E. Deavens, President and CEO-elect (effective Jan 1, 2021)
- Cain A. Hayes, President and CEO, Gateway Health
- Diane P. Holder, President and CEO, UPMC Health Plan
- Sachin H. Jain, MD, MBA, FACP, President and CEO, SCAN Group and SCAN Health Plan
- Virgil R. Miller, President, Aflac Group and Chief Operating Officer, Aflac U.S.
- Erhardt Preitauer, President and CEO, CareSource
- Jared Short, Chief Operating Officer and CEO-elect, Cambia Health Solutions (effective Jan 1, 2021)
- Paul A. Tufano, Chairman and CEO, AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies
- LAAHU’s Zoom Happy Hour is the first Wednesday of the month from 4-5p.m. Members and nonmembers welcome. Register here.
- NAHU Power Hour, 4th Wednesday of the month from 4-5p.m. Pacific. Members and nonmembers welcome. Register here.
- NAIC Fall National Meeting, Virtual, Dec 3-9
The agenda for the 2020 NAIC Fall National Meeting is now available. The schedule includes interactive sessions, as well as a special session that will be held by The Center for Insurance Policy and Research (CIPR). Meeting registration opened September 25, and the registration fee is $495. As a reminder, unused registration fee credits received from the cancelled 2020 Spring National Meeting may be applied to the registration fees for the 2020 Fall National Meeting. Register here.
- NAIFA-Los Angeles 68th Annual Will G. Farrell Award & Leadership Recognition Event, Virtual, Feb. 18, 2021. More info here.
- CAHU Women’s Leadership Summit, April 7-9, 2021!
The latest news from CAHU’s WLS committee is that the CAHU Women’s Leadership Summit will now take place April 7 –9, 2021, at Green Valley Ranch in Las Vegas. Questions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.