Cost-containment Actions for Employers in Aftermath of Pandemic
In a series of five articles, healthcare consulting firm McKinsey & Company offered a compelling perspective on the gathering storm in U.S. health. “This gathering storm has the potential to reorder the healthcare industry and put nearly half of the profit pools at risk,” they say. They examine the magnitude of healthcare cost increases confronting both employers and employees. This final article also outlines a range of actions that employers could take to contain costs and promote long-term affordability, while maintaining access and quality of care.
“Those who thrive will tap into the $1 trillion of known improvement opportunities by redesigning their organizations for speed-accelerating productivity improvements, reshaping their portfolio, innovating new business models to refashion care, and reallocating constrained resources. The healthcare industry has lagged behind other industries in applying these practices; players who are able to do so in this crisis could set themselves up for success in the coming years.”
McKinsey & Company / / Read Article
Impacts Group Health
DOL Proposes New Rule for Independent Contractor Status
Employee or Independent? Why it MATTERS
On Oct. 11, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) released a proposed rule to update the test for determining whether a worker is an employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) or an independent contractor. FLSA requirements relating to minimum wage, overtime and recordkeeping apply to employees, but do not apply to independent contractors, making the proper classification of a worker under the law critical and consequential. The proposed rule was published in the Federal Register on Oct. 13, and will be open for public comment for 45 days, or until Monday, Nov. 28, 2022. Need to know more? Link here.
California’s coronavirus emergency will officially end in February, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced nearly three years after the state’s first confirmed death from the disease prompted a raft of restrictions that upended public life.
“The State of Emergency was an effective and necessary tool that we utilized to protect our state, and we wouldn’t have gotten to this point without it,” Newsom said in a news release, adding that the declaration will formally end on Feb. 28. Read more here.
Good to know
Cost Saving Medicare Changes for 2023
Three key changes to Medicare could save seniors money. Premiums and deductibles on Medicare Part B are going down, while co-sharing costs for adult vaccines are going away. Insulin copays will also be capped starting in 2023. These changes could affect if seniors choose to switch their coverage options during the annual open enrollment window that runs from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7. Read article
Take Action: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Expert shares 4 ways to lower risk, catch breast cancer early
A woman living in the U.S. today faces a one in eight chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer at some time during her life, according to estimates from National Cancer Institute’s reports. Prevention and early detection are the best ways to prepare to handle risks associated with breast cancer, says Halley Vora, MD, medical director of the Breast Health Center at Loma Linda University Cancer Center. Learn more.
Wal-Mart’s Foray into Health Care Defined
What brokers need to know
From partnering with Optum for healthcare analytics to opening a healthcare research institute, here are the six most recent healthcare moves from Walmart as reported by Becker’s.
One example: Walmart launched the Walmart Healthcare Research Institute Oct. 11. It will initially focus on inclusion in clinical studies on chronic conditions treatments and those that should include members from underrepresented populations, including older adults, rural residents, women and minority populations.
IRS Increases 401(k) Limit by Record Amount as Inflation Surges
The Internal Revenue Service is boosting how much Americans can plow into their 401(k) plans next year by a record amount amid a surge in inflation. Read article
“There’s a lag effect,” said Cynthia Cox, vice president and director for the program on the Affordable Care Act for Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit focused on health issues. “The cost of gasoline can change from one day to the next. That’s not really how health care prices work.” Dive in here.
California Health Care Foundation 2022 Edition — California Hospitals
California’s 337 general acute care (GAC) hospitals discharged 2.8 million patients and had 40.1 million outpatient visits in 2020. This quick reference guide provides an overview of the state’s GAC hospitals, including number of beds, use of services, and selected financial measures. Download here.
U.S. News & World Report’s 2022-2023 Best Hospitals survey LINK to Survey
- Best Hospitals in California
U.S. News evaluated 404 hospitals in California. Fifty-eight meet high U.S. News standards and are ranked in the state. See also Best Children’s Hospitals in California.
- All 10 Providence SoCal hospitals earn national rankings, rated among best hospitals in Southern California including five that ranked nationally for specialty care. Dig deeper.
- University of California hospitals lead state and the nation in latest rankings.
UC hospitals again are ranked among the best in the state and the nation in U.S. News & World Report’s 2022-2023 Best Hospitals survey, recognizing the world-class care they bring to California. Four UC hospitals are in California’s top six, and all rate nationally in multiple specialties for treating patients with complex, high-risk conditions. Read details.
Who Can Be a Power of Attorney?
Content provided by: Strazzeri Mancini LLP 1-858-200-1900
Do you need help in choosing the right trustee, executor and agent for your financial power of attorney? This can easily be the most important decision you make with your estate plan. If your successor trustee fails to follow your plan, your plan fails. There are a few key characteristics that good successor trustees have:
- First, they must be trustworthy. This sounds obvious, but if you have any doubts about someone’s character, do not name them as your successor trustee.
- Second, a good successor trustee must have some basic financial knowledge. They need to know the difference between a bond and a mutual fund. They also need to have the ability to spot a scam and avoid being ripped off (with your money!).
- Third, the person you name as your successor trustee must be financially sound. Do not name a successor trustee, even a child, if they are living paycheck to paycheck. The temptation for someone like that may too great to “loan” themselves some of your money the next time they get in a bind.
- Finally, some clients choose an institutional trust company as trustee. This may help avoid family disputes, provide more security, and ensure creditor protection and availability.We look forward to helping you protect what you value most: your family. Contact: Strazzeri Mancini LLP
Oct. 27, 10 – 11 am PST: CAHIP Webinar: Understanding New 2023 Requirements for Medicare – Cal MediConnect Beneficiaries. Register
- Nov. 3, 11:30 to 1:30 pm PST: Women In Financial Services (WIFS) Webinar: What The Tech?
- Nov. 4, 10:30am PST: White Wing Insurance National meeting. Register.
- Nov. 9, 6:00 – 8:00 pm PST: NAIFA-Silicon Valley Happy Hour Hapa’s Brewing Company, San Jose. RSVP by email with your name, email, and cell to Executive Director Janet Fishman at email@example.com
- Nov. 10, 10:00 – 11:00 am PST: NAHU Professional Employer Organizations (PEO) and what makes a PEO Broker Friendly. Sponsored by JustWorks. Register.
- Dec. 1, 11:30 – 1:30 pm PST: WIFS: Tax Year In Review and What’s Coming in 2023, Contact Janet Fishman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan. 24, 2023 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM PST, NAHU Live Virtual Corporate Wellness Certification. Register
- Mar. 4, 2023, 9:00 to 1:30 PM PST WIFS Women’s Forum 2023
- Nov. 13-16, HLTH 2022 Health Innovation Expo, Las Vegas. Register
- Dec. 1, EBRI 2022 Retirement Summit, Washington D.C. Online & in person. Register
- Dec. 19-21, Money 2.0 Conference, White Wing CEO Joshua Schneeloch will present along with other experts. Las Vegas. Details