Claudie Kiti Bustamante, regional field manager at Covered California, Tiffany Q. Nguyen, Los Angeles regional field representative and a bunch of agents showed up in force to support Covered California in a Martin Luther King day parade in Los Angeles.They were out celebrating the work of MLK and making sure people know that Jan 31., the last day of enrollment for 2020, is fast approaching!
Webb Raises Concerns Over Gov Newsom’s New Budget
Yolanda Webb, the California Association of Health Underwriters Corporate Affairs Director, has a new post up on Governor Newsom’s proposed budget, which includes a Medicare for All provision. Webb expresses concern over unintended fallout of such a proposal. Specifically, the impact the provision may have on the healthcare workforce:
The impact of Medicare for All on America’s health care workforce would undermine the policy’s central objective: expanding access to care. With many areas of the country already on the brink of a crisis when it comes to provider shortages, policymakers must consider the impact of Medicare for All and related policies…
Got a Book You Want to Recommend? See Your Name in Print.
If you have a book you’re reading and want to recommend it, please email email@example.com with the subject line “books.” Tell us why you love the book or how it helped you. Fiction or nonfiction is totally fine! Tell us how you’re reading the book (print, Kindle etc.) or if you’re listening to it as an audio book. We’ll feature a couple of recommendations each month along with your name and company affiliation (if you desire).
What Do You Really Want to Know?
Thora Madden is hard at work putting together the questions for our 2020 GA View from the Top and the Large Group Survey of carriers. Is there anything you really want to know from these folks? Yep, you can contribute questions! Email Thora@calbrokermag.com.
Good Job LAAHU! 115 Kids in Need Will Now Go To Camp
Members of the Los Angeles Association of Health Underwriters recently presented a $6,000 check to Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times. The money, which was raised at LAAHU’s holiday event, is earmarked for transporting 115 kids by bus from Los Angeles to the camp in Idyllwild, California. Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times serves children diagnosed with cancer. We can’t think of anything more worthy than helping these kids!
SDAHU Awards Jim Morrison the Neil Crosby Award
Jim Morrison, RHU, REBC, CLU, HIP, CHRS, received the Neil R. Crosby Achievement in Excellence Award at the recent San Diego Association of Health Underwriters conference. Congrats, Jim!
CAHU Gears Up for Women’s Leadership Summit
In the February issue of California Broker magazine, Cerrina Jensen tells all about how the CAHU Women’s Leadership Summit was born. But here’s what you need to know right now: the second WLS is happening March 25-27 in Las Vegas! We’ll be there. You should be too. More info here.
Tickets On Sale Now for Sacramento Underwriters Crab Feed
Don’t forget –Tickets are on sale now for the 20th Annual Sacramento Association of Health Underwriters (SAHU) Crab Feed! The Crab Feed will take place on January 31 from 6-10 p.m. at the Citrus Heights Community Center. This year’s theme is “Back to the 80’s”. SAHU’s Crab Feed is sponsored by Kaiser Permanente and many other local businesses. For admission, table and drink tickets, or questions regarding this event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spot Launches with Cesar Millan
There’s a new pet insurer with a high profile spokesperson. Spot Pet Insurance officially launched and is partnering with world renowned dog behaviorist (and Californian), Cesar Millan. Millan joins the company as Chairman. Spot is underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company.
LegalShield Study: Financial Wellness Key
LegalShield released the results of its 2019 LegalShield Workplace Study. The findings reinforce that employers have begun to see the value in focusing more on financial wellness benefits for their employees.
Everyone loves a good list, so here are two based on the study’s findings…
Top 5 Employee Findings:
- 53% of employees admitted to having a legal event impact their job over the past two years
- 60+% of employees believe that these benefits (legal and identity theft protection) increase their financial well-being
- 89% of employees state that owning an identity theft product provides peace of mind knowing their identity will be protected
- 66% of employees have come to see their employer for financial and or legal advice in the past year
- 51% of employees believe that employers should offer an identity protection benefit. and 49% believe employers should offer a legal services benefit
Top 5 Employer Findings:
- 77% of employers believe access to affordable legal services can help improve employees’ financial well-being
- 61% of employers would consider offering identity theft and/or legal protection plans, and nearly 40% are already offering one or both benefits
- 85% of employers find direct access to a qualified law firm an important feature in a legal services plan
- Over 75% of employers find a comprehensive mobile app to be an important feature in both identity theft protection and legal service plans
- Over 80% of employers find restoration to be an important feature in an identity theft protection plan
LISI Welcomes Lyons as Director of Sales
California-based General Agency LISI, Inc., announced the appointment of Jack Lyons as director of sales. Lyons brings more than 15 years of industry experience in both the small and large group insurance segments. He has been responsible for direct broker sales and key account management.
LISI: We’re Planting a Tree for Every Medical Case Sold in 2020!
Leila Lavizadeh, an astute LISI employee (okay, and also a former Cal Broker editor), saw our mention last week of tree regrowth. She sent us this spectacular info about what LISI is up to…
Project ReTree is LISI’s newest campaign to preserve and improve the California landscape!
California’s forests have been seriously damaged by record-breaking wildfire seasons and five years of drought. With the ReTree Campaign, all of us can play a role in healing the forests of California and preserving our home for generations to come. As trees grow, they absorb the carbon dioxide emissions that drive global heating. New research estimates that a worldwide planting program could remove two-thirds of all the emissions from human activities that remain in the atmosphere today, a figure that scientists describe as mind-blowing. Go here for more info on LISI’s new project.
- NAIFA Los Angeles/Society of Financial Service Professionals Award & Leadership Recognition luncheon, February 20, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m, Taix French Restaurant, 1911 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90026, members (includes NAIFA, FSP, WIFS, LAAHU, NAHU, CAHU, VCAHU): $50.00, More info here or email email@example.com.
- OCAHU 8th Annual Business Development Summit– We’ll see you here!
February 28, DoubleTree by Hilton-Anaheim/Orange County
Contact: Gail James Clarke (714) 441-8951, ext.3, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 29th Annual IEAHU Symposium, March 10, Riverside Convention Center– We’ll see you here!
Email Inland Empire Association of Health Underwriters for more info: email@example.com
- SIIA Self-Insured Health Plan Executive Forum
March 16-18, Charleston, SC. More info here.
- CAHU Women’s Leadership Conference, March 25-27, JW Marriott Resort&Spa, Las Vegas– We’ll see you here!
More info at www.cahu.org.
April 6-7The Notary Hotel, Autograph CollectionPhiladelphia, PA
SIIA Washington, DC Fly-In (Meet Your Members of Congress)April 21-22,Washington, DCEvent details to be announced soon
- LAAHU Annual Symposium- Save the date!– We’ll see you here!
April 22, Skirball Center, Los Angeles. More info soon!
- The 16th Annual BenefitsPRO Broker Expo
May 18-20 Hilton Austin in Austin, TX.
- SIIA National Conference & Expo
October 11-13JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & SpaPhoenix, AZRegistration will be open in April